For those seeking entertainment and recreation away from the resort, Wandawood is close to the activity centers of Interlochen Center for the Arts, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and Mackinac Island. Nearby cities of Charlevoix, Petoskey, and Traverse City feature a multitude of shops, restaurants and local attractions.
The Village of Elk Rapids, just three miles southwest of Wandawood, is one of the most charming harbor towns in Northwest Michigan. Its downtown district offers unique shops, as well as such tourist conveniences as a grocery store, post office, two pharmacies, a library, tennis courts, several restaurants, a wine shop, coffee shop and bakery. Numerous eateries are scattered in the Elk Rapids area, featuring standard cuisine as well as Cajun, Chinese and Mexican selections. See below for restaurant listing and links.
In addition to the beach areas available to Wandawood resorters along Elk Lake and Grand Traverse Bay, Elk Rapids provides public access to Grand Traverse Bay at several locations, with two parks featuring picnic tables and play equipment along with beaches.
Boating enthusiasts can choose between the “Big Water” excitement of Grand Traverse Bay and Lake Michigan and the pleasures of cruising through Elk Lake, Lake Skegemog and Torch River to Torch Lake, which then connects with the rest of the Antrim County Chain of Lakes. Sailing, kayaking, skiing and fishing are all possible within the friendly waters of Elk Lake and the Chain of Lakes.
For golfers, there are numerous courses in close proximity to Wandawood, including the Elk Rapids Golf Course on Cairn Hwy, A-Ga-Ming near Kewadin, and several courses at the Grand Traverse Resort in Acme.
- Siren Hall 231-264-6062 ~ fresh seafood, upscale
- Pearls 231-264-0530 ~ Cajun cuisine; Sunday brunch
- Riverwalk Grill 231-264-0377 ~ boat up or drive; outside and inside dining, drinks and live music various evenings
- Hacienda 231-264-5892 ~ Mexican cuisine and live music various evenings
- Chang Express 231-264-9140 ~ Chinese cuisine
- Torch Riviera 231-322-4100 ~ famous Friday fish fry
- McGee’s 72 231-421-8800 ~ all American fare; in Acme
- Shorts Brewery & Pub 231-498-2300 ~ great food and beer, live music various nights, family friendly; in Bellaire
- Chef Charles 231-264-8901 ~ best pizza in town
- Cellar 152 231-264-9000 ~ gourmet wine market; Boars Head deli, wine bar and indoor/outdoor seating
- TJ Charlie’s 231-264-8819 ~ breakfast and lunch
- Town Club 231-264-9914 ~ where the locals hang; bar food including gyros & Greek salads
- Java Jones 231-264-1111 ~ coffee shop with baked goods, quiches and many vegetarian options
- Harbor Café 231-264-8700 ~ breakfast and lunch
- The Moose 231-264-9266 ~ party store; delivers booze and pizza
- Sweet Shop 231-264-9732 ~voted best bakery in Michigan
- North Sub Stop ~ subs and deli
- The Local 231-498-2190 ~ breakfast and lunch
- Kolu’s ~ $5 meal deal; varied hours
- Water’s Edge Market 231-264-5511 ~ lots of made to order items, just down the road in Kewadin